Col. Nakalema: Lack of integrity in families responsible for corruption in society. The head of the State House Anti-Corruption Unit, Col Edith Nakalema, has called on Ugandans to promote integrity in families, churches, and communities.
According to Col Nakalema, the loss of integrity is responsible for the many vices gripping our country today.
“Having integrity means doing the right thing in a reliable way even when no one is watching. It’s a personality trait that we admire since it means a person has a moral compass that doesn’t waver. It literally means having “wholeness” of character, just as an integer is a “whole number” with no fractions,” she said.
According to Col Nakalema, marriage partners who lack integrity are self-centered, are secretive, make too many compromises, and are always stressed by their actions or problems.
She urged the women to promote integrity among their children.
“Parents who let children know that courage, honesty, and respect for others is more highly valued than quantifiable wealth or intelligence help kids understand the true meaning of integrity. When your children show integrity, tell them what you admire about their behavior,” she explained.
“So I urge parents, uncles, aunties, and all adults to nurture children into individuals of integrity. Remember children learn from those around them and so I also implore parents to set straight examples and be consistent,” she added.
Nakalema’s tips on displaying integrity in daily life
You can display integrity every day by choosing to do the right thing in all circumstances. Examples of how to display integrity in daily life:
· Notify the cashier if you have been given too much change back.
· Refrain from sharing secrets and confidential information with others.
· Remain honest with your partner.
· Avoid gossiping about other people, respect others and work hard.
· Admit when you are wrong and take responsibility for your actions.
· Be gracious when others provide assistance and recognize achievements for people you work with.
· You should be able to tolerate challenges, delays, and unexpected obstacles while maintaining a calm even demeanor.